Saturday 16 September 2017

Interesting outcomes

So I've had a run of bad luck with the wind. None - then bonkers gusty (28knts & big shifts) - then perfect but a lake full of 150 Optimists and now what was forecast to be 8-10mph was nothing like that.

Oh well I went out today anyway to make sure the alterations I've done to the mainsheet set up work. I'd measured and measured but you don't really know until you sail, if what you've done works. One of the reasons I wasn't keen on 15 gusting 28 to trial the new system.

But I can confirm it works. The extension makes it past the kicker, if I point it toward the cockpit floor (advice taken from the NZ fleet) when tacking. A little bit more thought is required when gybing, making sure you have pre gybed the extension or you are in trouble. But apart from that I MUCH prefer the positioning of the mainsheet off the boom!! It is so much more sensitive, it's directly in your eye line. Rather than looking at the bottom of the boat for the tail of the sheet and allows you to keep your weight forward all the time. I had no issues with the 'horse' hooking the stern quarter either. Which I was please about, and thought might happen but didn't.

I'm also happy with the reconfiguration of the control lines. They are all nicely elasticated now, so you can just grab the line, un-cleat and let go and the elastic take the line down to the deck. Rather than before where the lines were run though fixed deck bullseyes on the side decks and you had to adjust the line from inside the bullseye, which was awkward to say the least.

The other thing I've realised is I am ENORMOUSLY UNFIT! I have lost almost all my aerobic fitness over the last 4 years and it really shows. I'm going to have to do something about it, as the sailing skill memory seems to still be with me, but I'm going to be a liability to rescue crews if I don't get some fitness back soon!

As if to prove this, I went for a run the other day and I almost keeled over. This part of the plan may take a bit longer than I was hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment